Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Candy: Journal #1

“But explanations don’t change anything, do they? They don’t make you feel any better. You either like something or you don’t, and if you don’t like it, then knowing why it happens doesn’t make any difference – its still going to happen and you’re still not going to like it, so what’s the point?” (Page 59)

In this passage Joe is talking about how he felt when his mom and dad get a divorce. His parents are still seeing each other even after the divorce. To Joe it seems as if his mom wanted a divorce from her own kids instead of his dad. The quote said by his mom, “I don’t want to share you with anyone,” exemplifies that she couldn’t stand seeing her kids with their own dad and she needed him to her self which made her selfish. After the divorce his parents still see each other but his mom didn’t come visit them to see how they were doing. Even though Joe knew that his mom only wanted to get away from his sister and himself it didn’t really make a difference because he knew it was bound to happen anyways, even though he didn’t like it. In my perspective I think that everyone has gotten explanations that they have liked and some they haven’t liked. Everyone knows there are going to be things that are going to happen even though they don’t want them to but no one can stop that from happening, its just part of life. When parents get divorced the kids know why it happened but they still can’t do anything about it to make it stop. Yes, there are going to be things that we might be able to stop from happening but also there also are going to be things that we can’t stop but we still have to keep moving on with our lives. We can’t just be down for something we don’t want to happen. The connection I have made with this passage that makes me understand more about the book is that Joe learned how to move on after accepting the truth about his parents. Another connection in the book with this passage is when Joe meets Candy for the first time. After knowing she was a prostitute he still wanted to see her. Joe didn’t like thinking of Candy as a prostitute but as someone he has a lot of feelings for. In this case I think Joe is going to start understanding who Candy really is and try to help her out of this.

2 comments:

krisharstone said...

I find the situation with Joe's parents very awkward. If my parents got divorced and then started to date again afterwards and exclude me and my siblings from their relationship I would be very offended. I also find it very peculiar how Joe's mom wants nothing to do with her kids. If my parents were divorced I know that my mom would never want me out of her life. No matter how much of an annoyance a child can be a mother should always want to be part of thier childs life.

basketballrocks said...

I agree with what you have said about how Joe's mom getting a divorce from his dad. It made me wonder if in the story Joe's mom was going to come back into their lives and live with them, but it never happened. It was also wierd that Joe's mom would get a divorce from his dad when it was Joe and Gina that were the problem. I don't think that it was the right thing for Joe's mom to get a divorce from them because Joe really wishes he could see her.All Joe wants is to be a happy family again. What you said in the last few sentences about how Joe is trying not to think of Candy as a prostitute, and how he wants to help her out is completly right. I think that he wants to try his best to help her out, trying to get Candy to stop using drugs and that she would have a better life when she does.