Friday, May 2, 2008

Poetic Novels

Never Say Never
© Lisa
I never thought I'd live my life with a needle in my arm.
I never meant to treat loved ones this way
or cause any person harm.
I never could have saw myself being a junky at 17.
I sometimes wish that when I open my eyes all this would be a dream.
I never imagined that I would do what I have done just to get high.
I never wanted addiction to be a reason I could die.
I never planned on throwing my life completely down the drain.
I never took the time to think what I was getting myself in.
So Never say Never because you may be like me living a life I
Never wanted to be.
This poem links really well to the novel “Candy.” It demonstrates how Candy never expected her life to turn out the way it did at such a young age. She didn’t know where her life was going to take her. Candy came from a good family; her dad had a good job and had owned a pretty big house. She hadn’t planned on being a prostitute, it just happened from the choices she chose and because of the jealousy from her friends. “I never meant to treat the loved ones this way or cause any person harm,” exemplifies when she didn’t want Joe getting involved in her personal business because she didn’t want to hurt him or get him in trouble in any way. She cared for him and didn’t want him to die because of her pimp Iggy. Joe didn’t want her to be a drug addict anymore so he tried to help her out and tried making her quit. He “never wanted addiction to be the reason [she] could die.” He was willing to do anything to help her stop. From the choices she took, she threw her life “completely down the drain,” and Joe was willing to pull her back out. “I never took the time to think what I was getting myself in,” exemplifies when Joe fell in love with Candy after knowing she was a prostitute and could have died from Iggy. It also demonstrates how Candy didn’t take the time to think about what could happen to her when she began to take drugs. This poem illustrates how no one knows what is going to happen in their future and what they might end up doing, like the way Candy and Joe didn’t know.

No comments: